Friday, August 25, 2006

personal preference art : The Book Faerie

I got an order for a book about a dog sled trip to the North Pole that followed Perry’s route. No biggie, except the buyer was one of the authors and is now running his own dog sledding tours out of his lodge located in Ely, Minnesota…

Then I got an order for a Sherlock Holmes anthology - and the return email was an investigator’s. Does he admire Holmes, or is he looking for hints??? (That’s a joke…)

I had two requests today for a particular cover on the book before they would make the purchase. I did have the edition they were looking for, and I sent them the scans so they could see that for themselves. Why buy a book by the cover? Neither of these books was a collectible. Who knows…

I listed a Fortune Telling book today “By a Gypsy Queen”. I like finding usual books!

I’m still whittling away at the monster book room. Lots more left…

You ever buy a book because you liked the cover? I buy them because I like the author or the story line intrigues me. What makes YOU want to read a book???

I’m not sure that I’ve ever bought a book solely for its cover, but if I’m on the fence it could be a deciding factor. I know it’s not right but what can I say, I like nice art!

Sometimes it’s nostalgia (if it’s something I’ve already read) or just personal preference. While Rowena Morrill’s cover art for Anne McCaffrey’s novels is fine, I much prefer the old ones by Elizabeth Malczynski. And Michael Whelan’s are classic; I was actually shocked when they reprinted the books with new covers a few years back.

I guess I am a bit of a cover art nerd…

http://weblogs.bibliobox.com/BookFaerie/?p=49

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I just saw your comment about Elizabeth Malczynski's cover art! Thought you might like to know that she has a new website - www.thedragonstudio.com - with both older and recent artwork.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home