Wednesday, May 31, 2006

personal preference art : The New Original Trilogy DVD Cover Art

I know there is a lot of conversation going on about the new DVDs, but nobody has mentioned anything about the cover art! The first DVD set released in 2004 had a pretty weak set of covers. They looked rushed, just like the DVDs were. The new DVDs are no better. Besides for looking like quick Photoshop jobs, they are very poorly laid out. Let us examine them, shall we?
Let me start off by saying this is the weakest cover. I noticed several flaws with it, though. The most obvious one is the picture of Tarkin. Why is he blue? Is he a force ghost now? And then there's Han. Why would they use a picture of Han with a haircut that looks nothing like what he had in the film? I know it's petty, but it still bugs me!

Now lets get to some of the less obvious problems. Chewbacca. That picture doesn't fit because it's a still from ESB. You can tell by his hairstyle (yes, Chewie did have different hair styles!). C-3PO also looks like it was taken from some photography from one of the other films, but the image is too small to be sure.

One last thing that bothers me is the blue aura around everything. If Vader's lightsaber is featured on the cover, the aura should be red. That's just personal preference though, but I'm sure many will agree.
There are only two things I dislike about the cover, and again, it's the incorrect character images.

That Han Solo image would have been perfect on the ANH. For one, IT'S FROM ANH! Another reason it because that's Han Solo as he appeared in the film. Plus it's a great action pose.

The second mistake is Vader. This is a HUGE mistake, in my opinion. The image they used is one from Revenge of the Sith. It's noticeable to most fans that the suits used in the different films are different. Apparently it wasn't to the folk who made this cover, though! The image is so out of place on this cover and it screams ROTS.
The final one, ROTJ, is just boring. The character choices just make very little sense to me. I know they were trying to reflect the original poster, but I don't like it. Everything looks out of place. And the scale issue is ridiculous.

The other problem is Luke. The body and hands look like an illustration. I'm not sure what happened with that. I guess we're lucky that it's an image from the movie, though.


In the end I know the covers don't mean much and it's what's inside that counts (from what I hear, what's inside isn't too spetacular either!). I just hope I got through to a few people. Maybe someone from Lucasfilm is reading? Or maybe not.

© Lucasfilm 2006. All rights reserved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home